Sunday, September 13, 2009

First Solo Flight

Today was my first visit to the NICU alone. Ava came down with a little bit of a runny nose and was sneezing yesterday, and it carried over to today. She also had a slight fever, so we thought it was best that Jamie stay home with her while I went to the hospital. Now I am not supposed to drive for another week, but there was NO WAY I was missing a visit with my babies! I felt up to it so I was on my way.
.
The one downfall to my first outing was that I didn't have my husbands help in getting ready and out the door. He was busy taking care of poor little Ava. So...after getting to the hospital I first realized that I had forgotten the milk that I had pumped. No biggie I thought, I am about to pump again when I get to NICU and can just leave that. Well, when I get my pump out I realized that I had forgotten all of my pump accessories at home as well. UGH! These were both things that my husband gets ready each day and makes sure are packed for the hospital. Luckily one of the nurses snuck me a pumping accessories kit (you only get one and have to pay for any extras) and I was able to use a hospital pump.
.
The bad thing was that it delayed the babies feeding schedule by 30 minutes. I felt like such a horrible mom! I didn't really try to breast feed today because I felt so bad-I just wanted to hurry up and give them their bottle. I will not make this mistake again. Lol.
.
The babies are still at 40cc's of milk, but today they told me they are adding NeoSure to their breastmilk. NeoSure is a formula like powder. The nurse said it is to help them gain weight. The downfall to this is that it makes their poop really stinky. I was like no problem. That is until I changed Owen's diaper and he had a little poopie surprise for me. As soon as I pulled back the diaper my nose hairs started to curl. It was such a noxious smell I can't even describe it. Similar to how vinegar is when it gets too close to your nose. Hopefully they won't be on this stuff for too long. Yowzers.
.
They did graduate to 4 bottle feeds in a 24hr period. WooHoo...progress. One step closer to coming home. Owen finished his bottle for me today in 30, and sister finished in an amazing 13 minutes!! I was so proud. I think she is finally getting the hang of it. Hopefully I will get a good report for the rest of their feedings tomorrow. Jamie will be back to taking me to the hospital, so hopefully we won't experience any setbacks. :)
.
I love it each day when I first arrive-walking around the corner and see them snuggled up together sleeping. I just love it! Warms my heart every time.
Please Mom...No more pictures! You know how I like my beauty sleep.

Ugh...could they get any cuter??!!!
Mommy and Owie..finally full and satisfied after having to wait forever.

Little Ella Bella downing her bottle like a champ. Today she is wearing a hat made by the nice ladies from Threads of Love. It is the cutest little beanie I have ever seen. I wish I could take it home with me.
Hey Mom this bow you put on me is too heavy for my little head!!

Ahh...thats better!
Counting down the hours until I can get back to see my babes. Praying for continued good reports! :)

1 comment:

Lesli Archibald said...

CONGRATS! Glad you are all doing well!!!