Thursday, September 10, 2009

Reunited...And It Feels So Right!

Every day the babies make great strides, and today was a very special one. Today they were moved to one isolette or incubator. It really warmed my heart to see them back together-like they were in my womb. I am sure they were happy to have one another again too! The only downfall is since they were moved to one crib, they got relocated to a different part of the NICU. They did have a private room spacious room to themselves, now they are out in the open with just a curtain to close us in when we come to visit. :( And on a side note, this NICU is huge. They are almost to capacity...last I checked there were 31 babies in there, and they have beds for 38. WOW!!
.
They are on the lowest heat setting in the isolette, and since they are holding their body temps, they will meet another milestone tomorrow by being moved to an open crib. Woo Hoo!! One step closer to coming home!
.
They are also up to 36cc's of milk which is leaps and bounds from the 10cc's they were started on just 4 days ago. They are still on just three bottle feeds a day and are doing well with it. Today Owen completed one of his three bottles, and so did Ella. They usually drink a little more than half of their other two bottles, and have to finish the rest in their iv's. We are moving slowly but surely on the whole bottle feeding thing. Ella lost an ounce and is now at 4lbs6oz. Owen gained just enough to be considered 4lbs8oz. Gotta fatten these puppies up!
.
Today was also the first day we were able to bring Ava to visit the babies. I had a vision of how it would go. She would be very excited and interested to look at the babies, and we would all be able to take a family picture together. Well, things did not go as planned. I am not sure if it was all of the sounds from the different monitors she didn't like, the close quarters, or the fact that she had to be held, but she lasted only a few minutes. She looked at the babies and I was able to snap a quick picture and then it was meltdown city. She started screaming for no reason, and Jamie's mom had to rush her out of there. I guess that is why they have the rule that siblings under 18 are only allowed to visit once a week. This was a time I wish we still had that private room...I was so embarassed.
.
I can't wait to get back up there tomorrow to see my babies in an open crib. I also get to try and breasfeed them for the first time! They are not interested in even a bottle, so I am not expecting them to do anything at all, but it is a start. For now the doctor is letting me try once a day. I will "try" and nurse them and then they will get the bottle. Babysteps....
....
Ava colored sweet messages for her new brother and sister.


Checking out Owen and Ella for the first time.

Changing Owen's diaper through the holes of the isolette. Let me tell you it is very hard to do and takes some practice to get used to it. Not only is it hard to maneuver your arms in there, but they are so tiny and there are tons of wires to work around! The babies are so small that the preemie diapers are too big!! They have to be folded over. :)


Momma and her sweet baby boy both in green. (And we didn't even plan it...hehe)

Sporting the new hat Momma made and a non hospital blanket.
"Momma that flash sure is bright!"

Snuggly little Ella.

She got a new hat too. The pics of them are a little funny bc I was balancing them in my lap and taking their pictures. Daddy had to leave to check on Miss Thang.
Together in their isolette. They are SOOO cute together!!! They are so small they can both fit in a regular incubator and still have plenty of room. :) Tomorrow there won't be a glare in the picture bc the top will be gone!! Yippee!!!
My precious little angels. It is so hard to leave these little bundles behind....

2 comments:

Alana said...

Lauren, I'm SO glad to hear of the progress the babies are making! Such wonderful news. You all are in our thoughts and prayers.

The Hydes said...

You look soooo good! And the pictures crack me up because Ella is sleeping in every pic and Owen us wide eyed. The pic of you and Owen turned out so cute--the look on his face is like he's smiling! :)