Friday, September 11, 2009

Free At Last

No, not free from the hospital, but the babies are free from the "lid" of their isolette. It was so nice to see them in the open air. Today also marked their one week birthday. ONE WEEK!! Where has the time gone? I can't believe they have already been here for one whole week. Time is just flying by in a blur.
.
They both finished one bottle each in the night, and finished their bottle for us today as well. Slowly but surely they are getting stronger and learning how to eat. Now it takes them almost 30 minutes just to drink 38cc's of milk (which is barely anything) but it is progress none the less.
.
I also got to try to breastfeed them for the first time today. I tried with Owen first. I was shocked that he was actually rooting for me, but he was just too small and weak to really latch on and suck. I didn't want to tire him out, so I didn't try for too long. Ella did the same thing in that she rooted for me. I was shocked because they don't root for the bottle, and are not really interested at all in the nipple of the bottle. We have to basically push it in their mouth. She was also too weak to really latch on and nurse. I get to try to nurse them once a day and am hopeful that they will catch on to nursing quickly once they get stronger.
.
Tomorrow they should be out of their isolette and in a crib. They will also be increased to 40cc's of milk. I think they are approaching their goal amount of milk they will need to take for each feed, but we will see.
.
Daddy changing Owen's poopie diaper. Better Dad than Mom. :) SOO glad not to have to change diapers through the arm holes anymore!!!

Little Owie clean, happy and ready to eat! I think he may even be throwing a peace sign. hehe

Mommy and Ella....soooo tiny!
Two little snugly bundles
No lid...woo hoo!

With all the talk of babies, preparing big sister for her new siblings, someone has decided she wants to start acting like a baby herself. She found an old pacifier and has it in her mouth constantly. She also has a little baby bottle that she likes to suck on. We don't have the heart to make her stop-since all of the talk and attention has been on the new babies and her little world has been turned upside down. We just love on her and call her "Baby Ava" when she does this. ;)






4 comments:

Two Buckaroos said...

Ral - you are one fashonista mamma, you look FAB. The twins are so, so super cute, I can't wait to hold them and love on them. They remind me of my boy & girl cabbage patch kid twins when i was a kid...everyone wanted the girl/boy combo and now you have the real live thing! :) Keep the pictures and blogs coming so we can keep up

Brittany said...

The pictures are great and I love reading your updates and cheering the twins on as they make ittle steps into going home with their family! I LOVE the pic of Owen looking at the camera with his sweet face and smile!

Chris said...

I am loving all the pictures Lauren and you look so good! I'm really glad everyone is happy and healthy. That picture of Ava made me smile.

Carol said...

Lauren, the babies look so cute and their little caps are precious...did someone you know make them or are they from the hospital?